Maya's Musings

The daily trials, triumphs and tribulations of a 21st-century, Mexican-Polish-American baby.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Broadway Baby

I have heard so much about New York-- the sights, the sounds, the culture-- that when we went back east last month, I told Mami and Papi, "I've got to see this place for myself!"

Well, it didn't disappoint!

Getting there was a challenge, though. We decided to drive to New Haven and take the train. Mami and Papi thought it would save them the hassle of having to deal with New York traffic, plus I would get to ride the choo-choo!

But it wasn't that easy. First, I woke up late (I never did adjust to the time change! Hee hee...) so we missed the morning train. Then Mapquest gave us the wrong directions, so we got a little lost trying to find the train station. Next, the parking garage next to the station was full, so we had to park more than a mile away. Mami and Papi ran as fast as they could, Papi pushing me in the stroller and Mami wrestling with my heavy diaper bag. We raced through the train station and down the escalator, and Papi lifted me and my stroller up the stairs to the tracks...but just as we reached the top of the stairs and opened the door, the train started to pull away!
Papi shouted, "Noooooo!" just like they do in the movies. Mami just said, "It's OK, it wasn't our fault, we'll just have to wait for the next train in an hour." So I spent the next hour riding the escalators. I didn't mind the wait!

The train ride was great...at first. As you can see in the picture, I looked out the window and watched the world go by. But we made lots of stops, and after a while I kept trying to get off when the doors would open. I wanted to explore! Eventually, we got to Grand Central Station (so big! so majestic and beautiful!) and made our way outside. We walked up Park Avenue towards Central Park, and I was fascinated by the people and the noise until...I fell asleep. Mami and Papi couldn't believe I could sleep through all the horns and trafiic and people talking in one of the world's biggest cities.

I was still asleep when we got to the Central Park Zoo, so I missed the monkeys (see one up on top of that rock?). Luckily, I woke up in time to see the penguins. Boy, did I like them! I watched them climb up on the rocks and dive into the water. I laughed and said, "Oh no, penguin!" every time they jumped. Mami and Papi had to drag me out of there, but I calmed down when I saw the sea lions!Then we headed to the Tisch Children's Zoo, where I got to feed the goats and climb into a giant fake turtle egg. There were also ducks and squirrels and pigs and I even got to practice my alphabet.

The zoo closed so we headed to the Central Park carousel, but that closed just as we were walking up! Mami and Papi were starting to feel like maybe this wasn't our day, but I didn't mind; I was still having a great time. We decided to stop off at a playground instead, where I rode on the swings against a beautiful New York skyline.

Pretty swanky, huh?

They had to pry me off the swings, too, but from there we walked down 7th Avenue towards Times Square. We had a fabulous dinner at John's Pizzeria on 44th Street-- now THAT'S authentic New York Pizza!

Then we headed to the world's biggest Toys 'R Us. There is literally a ferris wheel inside! But I was more interested in checking out all the Elmo toys and riding the escalators. What can I say, I'm easy to please. :-)

From there we walked down Broadway and admired all the lights and commotion. There sure is a lot to see and hear and smell in New York! I just took it all in as we headed back to Grand Central to catch a train back to Connecticut.

I hope we go back to New York some day so I can spend more time at the zoo, visit museums and finally ride that carousel! And maybe I can talk Mami and Papi into taking a ferry to the Statue of Liberty...
But I'm also excited for more future travels and adventures. In January, we're heading to sunny Zihuatanejo, Mexico for my first beach vacation. YAY!

What do you think, faithful readers? Can you suggest other places for me to visit? Tell me about your favorite vacations...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home