Maya's Musings

The daily trials, triumphs and tribulations of a 21st-century, Mexican-Polish-American baby.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Fashion Chronicles Vol. 2: Ethnic Chic


As I've mentioned before, I've got clothes. LOTS of clothes.

Every time we go down to L.A., I come back to Sacramento with at least two new outfits! My Abuelita and my tios and tias and primos and family friends have been very generous to me, even before I was born.

So I've decided to post pictures of some of my favorite outfits here from time to time. Today's theme: the ethnic look.

As most of you know, my Mami is Mexican. She is very proud of her heritage and she is passing that on to me, too.

In the first picture, I'm wearing a handmade blouse from Mexico. It was a gift from Federico and Juanita, who are paisanos of my Papi's. Isn't it lovely? So crisp and delicate. I got lots of compliments when I wore it to day care. Mister Chauncey even put the biggest bib he could find on me so I wouldn't get it dirty when I ate!


In this picture, I'm wearing another handmade item, this time a dress from Tia Elisa and Tio Markos. They brought it from El Salvador. It is colorfully embroidered, and I paired it with some huaraches from San Pedro, my dad's hometown. It was very comfortable to wear on hot summer days.


Next is an outfit from Abuelita Guille. It's an embroidered peasant blouse. My Mami loves peasant blouses, and owns quite a few of them. I like them too! They're whimsical and feminine, but comfortable.

Last but not least is a gift from Tia Gloria. She sent a matching one for my Mami, too.

This bold and simple shirt says it all.

Viva Mexico!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home