Maya's Musings

The daily trials, triumphs and tribulations of a 21st-century, Mexican-Polish-American baby.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Rockin' Out


What can I say: I love music.

I love lullabies and love songs, Beethoven and banda.

I love it all.

It's probably because I have been surrounded by music all of my life.

When I was in Mami's belly, my Papis would play classical music when we went on long car rides. When my Mami walked on the treadmill, she would listen to music as we bounced along.

After I was born, there were times that I would cry really, really hard. If we were riding in the car, Papi would turn his music up REALLY LOUD, and suddenly, I would shut up. The music always got my attention and calmed me down. My favorites are pop-punk bands like Blink 182 and All-American Rejects. ("Swing Swing" rules!)

During dinner and bath time, Mami plays lullabies and Cri-Cri, who is like the Mexican Mr. Rogers. Those are sweet, relaxing songs about patitos and cochinitos and ratones (that means duckies, piggies and mice, for my non-bilingual readers). My Mami listened to them when she was a baby! Isn't that cool?

The rest of the time, my Mami and Papi are singing to me. They sing Gwen Stefani songs and Abba songs, Tupac songs and Motley Crue songs. Sometimes they make up songs, or change the words to songs so they will be about me.

My latest favorite: "Don't Cha," by the Pussycat Dolls. Mami and Papi changed the words to it and sing, "Don't Cha wish your baby was cute like me? Don't Cha wish your baby had rolls like me? Don't Cha!" I giggle and giggle when they sing that! They're so silly.

At Borders the other day, Papi let me listen to some CDs. Gorillaz and Journey got a thumbs up!

Fear Factory got a thumbs down. As you can see in this picture, I'm not into death metal.

So what do you guys think? Is there any music you think I should listen to? I am open to suggestions!

Here's me kicking some butt on the air guitar! Rock on!

6 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tia Gloria, I can assure you that Maya is getting MORE than he fair share of hair metal and she absolutely loves it. One of her faves is Motley Crue's "Looks that Kill." I sang it to her when it was on and she had her first giggling fit. She's also fond of Y&T's Summertime Girls and Guns N Roses Paradise City.

    I'm showing her the way of the hair ;-)

     
  • At Tuesday, September 13, 2005, Blogger abuelita guille said…

    I don't know any of that music you are talking about, I'm just happy you like music and I hope one day you learn to like Juan Gabriel because he's my favorite singer and your mami's too.

     
  • At Thursday, September 15, 2005, Blogger Maya Conchita said…

    Hi Abuelita!

    I DO like Juan Gabriel. I don't know all of his songs yet, but my Mami has played a few for me and even sang them to me. My favorite is "Insensible." It's so catchy.

    My Papi thinks Juan Gabriel is weird and he doesn't understand why ladies like him so much. I just think he has a nice voice and memorable tunes!

     
  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i also highly recommend some Juan Gabriel. your cousin Sofi and me are going to see him in a few weeks. Also Lola Beltran is great but if you want more "youthful" music you should try Selena, Pastilla, Julieta Venegas, Aterciopelados, Cafe Tacvba, Natalia Lafourcade, the OLD Shakira CD's (Pies Descalzos and Donde Estan Los Ladrones), La Oreja de Van Gogh.....and if you want to touch up your English skills try Go Betty Go, The Flaming Lips, The White Stripes, The Killers, and Los Abandoned with their super cool bilingual music. They have a super cool cover of "Como la Flor." 90's kick butt!

     
  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey I forgot to tell you that I can teach you how to play a real guitar when you get older. I got you covered whether you want to learn mariachi or rock!

     
  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005, Blogger Maya Conchita said…

    Wow, thanks to my primas for all those great suggestions! I have a LOT of listening to do! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home